The brown trout

The brown trout in Lake Þingvallavatn, whose origin can be traced to Britain, has long been one of the most talked-about freshwater fish in Iceland - and abroad. The brown trout's fame is based primarily on its large size and great numbers. After it became isolated in Þingvallavatn in the wake of the last ice age, living conditions proved beneficial, and it was found in many populations all over the lake.

tveir saman.jpgThe best-known population was connected with Efra-Sog, which was the natural output of Þingvallavatn to the south, while another well-known population still has its spawning site in the river Öxará. The main reasons why the lake's largest brown trout population stayed in Efra-Sog were the strong current and river gravel that created good conditions for spawning and for the development of black flies, a good food source.

The brown trout can reach an incredible size, that once attracted anglers from all over the world. Records show that it wasn't uncommon to catch a 20-30 pound brown trout. When the Steingrímsstöð hydroelectric plant was built in 1959 at the southern end of the lake, the largest spawning site of the brown trout was destroyed, and the largest brown trout population in the lake has yet to recover.
Recently, the life habits of the brown trout have been researched in detail in order to learn more about this lake giant. During this research, brown trout up to 20 pounds in weight have been observed in the river Öxará.

Safe travel in Iceland
Travellers should prepare well for each trip and know its trail and route conditions.
The THING Project
The THING Project is based on the Thing sites that are the assembly sites spread across North West Europe as a result of the Viking diaspora and Norse settlements.
World heritage
Thingvellir was accepted on the World Heritage list for its cultural values in 2004 at World Heritage Committee meeting in China.
Protection and management
Thingvellir National Park was designated by a special law on the protection of the area, passed by the Alþing on 7th May, 1928.